Monday, December 24, 2007

The dealer

So, I didn't mention the car yet...when I went to pick it up on friday, the service rep who met me was reviewing the invoice, and read from it that the tech's 'diagnosis' of the nav system's voice static was because it was using an older software version, and I needed to order and install the latest updated dvd.
I said that was interesting, because I had installed the new dvd a week prior, and it was the latest version, copyright 2007 - and didn't affect the issue at all.
He went back to talk to the service manager. He came back and said if that wasn't the trouble, it may be the whole nav system itself.
I explained that if the supposed diagnosis was that I needed the new software dvd, than it appears that the problem wasn't even checked, as the software version is printed on the disc label (this is tricky, as you have to follow the complex process of hitting the 'eject' button and glancing at the dvd label). The installed version can also be accessed on one of the system's info screens, if you bother to look at it. Obviously, even these simple things weren't done.
I was trying to be as nice and patient as I could be, knowing that the service manager was lying about checking the problem at all.

So, now I have to make yet another appointment, so they can actually diagnose the problem that they didn't even bother to check into. I guess that's what I get for scheduling an appointment on a friday. I think I'll do something like put scotch tape over a couple of the connectors, to see if they actually do something more than park my car in the back lot all day. I can't say this recent visit garnered any trust in their service department.

No comments: