Friday, July 30, 2010

TFSMIF

My first date with Chris was 6 weeks ago today. It's been strange...in that I really never thought I'd have more than a random date here or there with someone...or even let myself do that. And yet here I am, enjoying his company, whether we're alone or with friends, and watching him when he sleeps, and missing him when he's absent, even if he just left 5 minutes ago. I've been going along with this day by day with Chris, and it still is very new and green with him. But I'm starting to realize that I'm onto something here. I'm letting my guard down, and not meter my words, or wonder what thoughts I should share, more than I ever have in the past...it's exciting. In many ways, this feels like my first mature relationship. That may be a strange thing to say given my track record, but this time, we're both going into this with no expectations or preconceived notions of how it should be. And I think that makes all the difference. With Chris, I really feel like I've met someone who respects me for who I am. I don't think I've truly had that before. I can sit with him and and watch some of the most embarassing stuff I put onto my dvr, and he doesn't protest. I can stand there and brood while making dinner after a long day, and he doesn't wig out because there's suddenly a moment of silence. He just grabs a book and lets me be. He actually seems like he might get me. Wow. I'm stoked.

No comments: