Friday, November 16, 2007

New car

We're thinking that we want a 2nd vehicle for more cargo-oriented duty. A 4 door sedan is great for commuting and road trips, but not so great when you're buying oddly shaped items at Lowes that will rip up the seats at the first chance they get. I'm not looking for something new, and I'd like to see what I can find for around $5000.
Since this will be for simple utility, I really don't care what it says about me. Pride be damned.

I have little desire for a truck based vehicle - I could live with a pickup, but barely. The rough ride in town and gas mileage that's lucky to see 20 mpg are not strong selling points to me.

So I'm looking at other options. SUVs are out for the reasons listed above. Maybe a smaller 4-cylinder suv, but those are hard to find in my price range. And if they are, they're pretty much used up.

I could have a station wagon, but you can probably count the models available on one hand. A Subaru Legacy would be nice, but they suffer the same availability problem that small suvs do.

The more I think about it, the more one thing gets into my mind - a minivan. They have carlike handling, are better on gas (generally) than an suv, and there are tons of them out there.

I would like to get something that'll deliver gas mileage at least in the low 20s, so a V6 model is probably out. Chrysler did make some 4-banger minis, but they are strictly the bare-bones models with wind up windows and didn't offer the safety features of the pricier versions, like anti-lock brakes.

One thing that has caught my attention is a first-generation Honda Odyssey. I don't really remember them either, the styling was completely invisible. But on my list of desires, it ticks a lot of the boxes...4-cylinders, abs and airbags, and they were all reasonably equipped. Only problem is their age - 1998 model year was the last one for them. But there are quite a few out there, and decent ones are right in my range.

So whaddya think?

4 comments:

Gigamatt said...

My theory? Use and abuse friends with cargo-friendly vehicles... the gas and inconvenience money (or food) will be less than an additional car payment and upkeep.

However... I have also thought about the mini-van route. My parents bought their first a couple years back, and love it. I wouldn't recommend buying a used one, tho. To me, the warranty is a big plus.

If I had it to do over, I would've probably bought something other than a brand new truck. A 4x8" sheet of anything will fit in a mini-van just as easy as a pickup, so I'm told. (As long as the seats are removable.)

kelmeister said...

I agree with matt...$10 and breakfast will win you a trip to the dump in Giga's truck, AND he helps you load and unload it.

Gigamatt said...

True. You'd want a heavy duty tarp to put down under anything you were taking to the dump in a mini-van.

Unknown said...

Very valid points...plus it saves me a lot on insurance.
That's what I remember about my parent's minivans, they held ungodly insane amounts of stuff for their size. When I borrowed one to move from Wilbur, my full mattress fit perfectly lying flat on the floor. I thought that would be awfully handy for dates.

I think I will keep my eyes open for a deal, but I'm not going to hunt for anything right away.
Funny thing about the old Odysseys...since I researched them, I see them everywhere...and their last model year was 1998. They must run forever.