Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Deciphering deductibles

So the W2s arrived by mail last night, which allowed me to plug those in and file my taxes. S'funny how you look forward to it when you're a homeowner. I used Turbotax as I have in past years...the software costs around $50, and it is a good program.
But it's not all roses...when you're done, you have the option of having the taxes filed electronically, for ~$18, per return. Okay, fine. Then there was an option to have them just deduct the fee from your refund. Yeah, sure, that's even easier.
But if you select that, you're then told this option costs an additional $29.95..okay hold on. After I sought out your product, and am agreeing to file electronically, you want me to shell out again what I paid for the software just to file? And pay double that if I wanted that done with my state taxes too, for a grand total of $150? I could walk into an H&R Block office and have a somewhat sentient human do it all for me for less than that. There must be a lot of lazy people out there...
Luckily a stamp still costs 40-odd cents, and I can file the state taxes via phone.
I remember now why I didn't use Turbotax last year.

5 comments:

kelmeister said...

Prestonian nearly bit my head off last year when he discovered how much I paid to use TurboTax online. But I liked how it did all the math for me!!! and I figured since we were paying tuition, and student loan interest, and we had a house, that there might be fifty brazilian deductions that we were missing.

But, yeah, I think we're going the paper route this year.

I miss doing the 1040-EZ over the phone.

Unknown said...

It is very useful for that...so much of the tax process is counter-intuitive - like deducting taxes from your taxes.
I just wish they didn't try to screw you into spending a crazy amount for basically emailing a file.

naladahc said...

Yes. the 1040-EZ made my life so simple.

Oh for 2002...

Unknown said...

Back then it always more or less balanced out for me...what I owed on federal I'd get back on state.

Of course back then, we made $300 a week and sat on milk crates and 20 year old plaid couches...

Gigamatt said...

Ah, those were the days.