Wednesday, October 24, 2007

More rain, and more rain

The talking heads were telling us on monday that rain was coming. They were only expecting about .5-1 inch through tuesday night.
I knew something was amiss as I drove to work tuesday morning...the 4-lane road I take to the highway was a 2-lane road because of standing water. When I got home, they said we'd had between 3 and 3.5 inches in Cowtown. And it's rained all night since then.
Now, because it's been so dry this year, it's been hard to gauge the effectiveness of any basement work I've done.
But I think we're showing a steady improvement. Looking at the 3 'shop vac incidents' we've had this year...
In March, we had the worst flooding ever, with melting snow and heavy rain. It took at least a dozen shop-vac loads to get all the water up.
In August, we had a heavy rain over a couple days. I think the rain total was about 2.5 inches. By the time all the water was sucked up, I had filled the vac about 3.5 times.
This week, with the nearly 4 inches, the shop vac scale is at...1.5.
So no, it's not fixed, but I am on the right track. And I think my next round of work will help more.
It appeared that most of the water we had this week was probably my fault. Remember those roll-up downspout extensions I was so proud of? Want to know why you never see them? The one by the driveway wound up dumping most if its water at the point where it connects to the metal downspout, which makes it about as effective as nothing. So several dozen gallons of water were dumped into the strip between the driveway and house, instead of out in the yard as intended. Oops. I replaced it with a solid piece and we had no water after that.

We've decided on how to resolve the issue with water coming in on the driveway side of the house...we're just going to pave over the little strip of land between the house and driveway. All it is is a mulchbed and home to various weeds. And once it's gone, we can put some potted plants along that side to dress it up.

2 comments:

naladahc said...

I'm sorry to hear about the water.

You know how bad water and basements have terrorized me for years now.

The psychological scars run deep.

Only the Dancing Boy could cure it but he's no where to be found anymore.

Unknown said...

It's just never ending. I've only worked on a couple of the worst areas. I wanted to see if what I had done to those would make an improvement, before I invested a lot of money and time into a solution that wasn't going to make a difference. Not having any rain to test the system has been a blessing and a curse, because now I get to do the remaining work in iffy fall weather.