Tuesday, October 16, 2007

more beer news

I guess it's the theme of the day...
I ran across this story on Autoblog, from someone who asks the question -

What if gasoline was sold like beer?

Do you really know how much gas you use? Sure, you look at the pump occasionally when you fill up and see that you put 16 gallons in, but do you ever really think about how much that is?

You would if gas were sold like beer, in 12 ounce cans.

In my 1991 BMW 750iL, which gets ~17 mpg, I would only get 1.6 miles per can. That means that for my 37 mile commute to work I would have to open 23 cans of gas and pour them into the tank.

I would need another case just to get back home in the evening.

My motorcycle gets 48 mpg. That’s not so bad, right?

I’d still need more than 16 cans for the round trip. Looks like I need to get a bigger backpack.

No, I'm not suggesting that we all run off and trade our cars for plowshares...but it's definitely surprising to consider how much cars drink using a different yardstick.
I burn about 5 gallons a week, thanks to a short commute and not driving a gas pig. Even so, that's 53 bottles just by driving to work for 5 days. I'd rather have the beer.

No comments: