Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bionic woman and Columbus Day

So, most feel that the ratings should be the villain of the show. And thus closes another poll.

Patrick and Bethany were down for a visit over the weekend, it was good to see them both. And no visit with family would be complete without a meal at El Vaquero. Good times.

To keep myself busy the rest of the weekend, I bought a garage (of sorts). I saw an ad for one of those vehicle shelters for a really good price, so before Patrick left town on sunday, he and I ran to get it before the shelters were sold out.


This is the model we got...I'll get some pics up of ours.

We wanted something like this for a while, but until the tree was removed, getting one would have been asking for trouble. This one was a steal - they regularly go for $499, but after rebates and all the discounts we got it for $139 plus tax.

Assembly of the frame was very simple, and only took a couple of hours. This was aided by no missing parts, and instructions that were written by someone with a strong command of English. The only thing that was hindering progress was the heat - if it wasn't 90+ degrees all weekend, it woudl have been a one day job. I was able to work on it for about an hour per day before the heat got to me.

The only annoying thing is that the anchors to secure it to the ground are not included, and you don't know this until you've goen thru everything twice and read the list of parts several times. So you have to make another trip to buy those, which I will do tonight.

Once it's anchored, I'll put the cover on - otherwise it would become a fairly large and unwieldy kite. And then our garage/xxl tent will be ready. I think it will also be a great place to have a mid-winter party, if shivering in the driveway sounds like fun, let me know.

4 comments:

kelmeister said...

better get those anchors soon...i'm seeing a vision of your neighbors with a brand new car tent in the coming days.

Unknown said...

Luckily it went off without a hitch, or everything falling apart halfway through. I'm sure they were let down by the lack of entertainment value.

naladahc said...

You must post pictures!

Gigamatt said...

i'm laughing because i'm seeing cartoony visions of neighbors tiptoeing into your backyard to steal firewood. and then the grill. and then the chairs. and then the frog. and then, finally, the car tent.