Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Weekend




This past weekend, Shaunn and I met up with the family in Chicago for the ABTA fundraising 5k run/walk which was held on Saturday morning along the lakefront.

The weather on Friday was too good to be true, so that wasn’t going to hold up. The 80 degrees and sunshine gave way Friday night to tornado watches and strong storms. Saturday it was dry, but temps were in the 40s and the wind was howling, even for Chicago.

When we got out of the car at the park where the walk was being organized, we were greeted by the sight of the wind blowing over 3 port-a-johns that had been set up for the crowd. I resolved then and there to hold everything until we got home.

The run/walk attracted the largest crowd ever for the event, and almost all teams had made their own shirts commemorating the person or people they were walking for. We got several compliments on ours, and naturally we thought they were the best.

My 2 sisters, Beef’s husband Richard, my neice Lindsay’s boyfriend Scott, and my mom all took part in the run. The rest of us, Lindsay, Don, little Geo, and me resolved to walk instead, as we had nothing to prove. It was a nice walk in spite of the cold wind, and the vistas along the lakefront are beautiful enough to take your mind off anything.


After a couple hours, we headed home to rest and get some food in us. It was a great experience, and we’re already talking about when to start raising money for next year. Later that day we stopped off to visit grandma for a bit and had a great-but too brief- visit.


On the way back from Chicago, Shaunn and I stopped off in Yellow Springs to visit my friend Jennifer, who I haven’t seen in a few years. It was great to see her and get caught up on our so called lives.

No comments: