Sunday, March 9, 2008

Down Time

One benefit of being cooped up in the house all weekend was...free time. Lots and lots of free time. I've officially caught up on all the shows that the dvr has been capturing...
I just watched another episode of a show that I really recommend for jazz lovers, called Legends of Jazz With Ramsey Lewis . It's a PBS program that's been on public radio for a few years, and I discovered the television version this week on our public tv HD channel. They don't make it easy though, with an airtime of 3:30 am on weekdays.

Ramsey Lewis is a legend in his own right, trust me, you've probably heard him at one time or another. The show is only 30 minutes, and it looks at different styles and influences, with performances from artists specializing in the style du jour.

The first episode I saw featured Dave Brubeck (yes, he's still alive) and Billie Taylor. I just watched the American Songbook episode, with two performers that I admittedly haven't heard of before, but they were excellent. Other episodes look at influences from the blues, tenors, latin jazz...it looks like a great series. If he ever has Diana Krall on, I may wet myself.

No comments: