Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Basement Blues

Well, 3 inches of rain, the day after a few inches of snow finished melting = basement water. I shouldn't be surprised at this point (and I wasn't), but this is getting old. It's not bad, and I have really improved some areas that were just awful when we moved in...but we now have a bad issue with water coming in around the chimney. It never leaked the first year, it wasn't until after we'd used the chimney during the winter of 05-06. Gotta be a connection - perhaps heat expansion of the flue is cracking the mortar up at the top. I've eliminated runoff or roof drainage as suspects, so now it's time to get up there to redo the crown and seal all the cracks.
I also need to get a truckload of dirt delivered to make sure the grading all around the house is as it should be, because there's spots where it most definitely ain't.
Then seal and/or replace the gutters. And then seal the interior basement walls. After that...witch doctor?

No comments: