Monday, June 6, 2011

Simple pleasures

Several weeks back, I bought a bicycle. The weather didn't cooperate for several weeks afterward, so I did't have a chance to try it out until Memorial Day. That day was an education in how to purchase a bicycle.
- The bike I bought was a 'Comfort bike', and was indeed very comfortable, and pretty to look at.
- Those were the only redeeming qualities.

Out on the paved trails, this bike was horrible. The gearing was set up for very casual cruising, up to about 10 mph. Anything above that and the short gearing would wear you out very quickly. I discovered this when riding with Chris and Brad, who both had bikes better suited for the type of riding I prefer.

I tried the bike again a few days later, thinking maybe it was the extreme heat that day that caused me to run out of breath quickly. nope, same thing. I was totally spent after about 20 minutes.

Discouraged, I returned the bike to the store. I looked at the inventories at a few local stores, but couldn't find anything suitable that was in my budget. So I started scouring the Craigslist ads, which is where Chris had found his bike.

I found a nice older bike for $100. A Raleigh Olympian 12 speed road bike. As near as I can tell it was built around 1984. It's seen a lot of use, and the paint shows some scrapes and wear. But it's obviously been well cared for - the frame is solid and straight, the rims are great, and all the mechanical bits work perfectly. A comparable bike new would be over twice as expensive.

I took it for a ride with Chris that same night, and quickly fell in love. We were out for about 90 minutes, and I never felt tired. The gearing is ideal for my current style of riding, and it felt like I could ride all day without really breaking a sweat. Another ride on sunday was a bit over 2 hours, and the same result. I think I'll own this one for a long time, it's just about perfect.

No comments: