Monday, November 8, 2010

Chili Defined

Okay, I stumbled upon the best ingredient for chili ever. Chorizo sausage. Chris had some in a breakfast burrito saturday morning, which reminded me of this little culinary treat available locally at Giant Eagle, and probably most halfway decently stocked grocery stores by now. I'd bought some earlier this year, but didn't really have a good use for it, I made a shepherd's pie with it, but didnt' really come up with much else. You can use it anywhere a recipe calls for ground sausage. My TG stuffing will never be the same.

Okay, onto the chili...this is my basic recipe I've been honing for a while, the sausage really gave it a nice flavor. If you want to leave out the meat for vegetarian, you can do that as well, but you'll make me cry.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
2 links chorizo, skin removed
1 tbsp butter
1 large sweet onion
1 bell pepper (I used red, but up to you)
1-2 jalepeno peppers (I used 2)
5-6 tomatoes, probably equivalent to 3 cans diced
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 bottle stout beer
1 can tomato paste
2 cans chili beans
salt and pepper to taste (Mine didn't need much at all)

Directions:
- Brown turkey and chorizo, breaking up into smaller chunks as you go. Spoon meat into stock pot.
- Dice onion and add to pan used for meat, along with butter, sautee uintil onion starts to brown. Add to the meat.
- Dice tomatoes and peppers, and add to the stock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients, and bring to boil on stove. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and let simmer for another 30 minutes, or until it reaches desired consistency.

No comments: