Monday, October 11, 2010

Joys of Homeownership

I swear, I will never be done with basement issues here. Went downstairs today on my day off to watch a little tv and relax...and was greeted by a not very pleasant aroma. Turns out the floor drain by the train layout had overflowed, and from the look of it it was from the bathroom upstairs. Fun. I went to Lowe's and bought the most caustic drain cleaning chemicals I could find - the same ones that worked wonders on the kitchen several months ago. This time, not so lucky. I went back to Lowe's bought a drain auger and a plumber's wrench the size of a horse's leg, and returned home. After about 20 fruitless minutes of trying to loosen the cleanout plug so that I could gaze upon the horrors inside, I had second thoughts about trying to tackle this myself. I returned those and bought a test plug for the drain, which keeps about 90% of the water and 100% of the 'debris' from coming out. Then cleaned up the awful mess on the floor, and bleached the hell out of everything that had been touched by water. Then I went to Giant Eagle, bought myself a nice pint of Ben and Jerry's, and returned home to look up plumbers to call in tomorrow. I'm not going in there by myself with only a Bob Vila video for guidance.

No comments: