Sunday, September 14, 2008

Garden Plans

When I decided to cultivate a garden this year, I made a decision to only buy perennials. That was mainly because I figured the plants would come back fuller and better every year. While that is true, the one aspect I didn’t know about was that most perennials only bloom for short periods of time, a few weeks or so. And for a new garden, until the plants are established and there’s a selection of things that bloom at different times, you’ve got a garden full of non blooming plants. While that can be nice, and green trumps brown for garden color, I’d like some more variety. Besides, I can’t tell if half of the plants in there now are just invasive weeds. So next year. I’ll be stocking up on annuals to fill in the areas that were let down by plants that only bloomed for a few weeks.

In addition, my veggie plot will be started this fall to get a jump on spring planting. I’m pretty sure where it will be, now it’s down to devoting the time to the project. Those trains will have to run themselves for a while.

I might even go whole hog and start some indoor seedlings late in the winter, to make sure we're not waiting until August for something to eat!

No comments: