Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gardening

We decided to do something about our long neglected front garden We'd planted some hostas and a few perennials a few years ago, but that was about it. None of them really did too well.
So this year, I wanted to do it right. The existing soil is a very heavy clay that apparently kills plants or seriously stunts their growth. I bought some soil conditioners on the advise of Mr. and Mrs. Pickles and a few gardening books (compost and cow poop) and mixed those in with some new topsoil.
Then I added a few perennials - white Daisys, yellow Coreopisis, purple Salvias, and various Lilies. I figured red was covered by the Japanese Maple, which is doing much better this year - maybe due to less saturated soil?
I moved most of the hostas to the front corner of the bed to make room for the new plants.














Not a victory garden yet, but these should start to fill in nicely in a year or two. The Coreopsis is already sending out runners after only a week. I'm going to get a few more plants next week, then we'll mulch the bed and see what happens.

2 comments:

naladahc said...

I really hate 70% or so of the crappy landscape here.

However, I really don't know if I want to spent the $ this year on doing stuff since repairing and refinishing the garage, the front porch, and the site entrance posts really should be where the scratch is invested right now.

I have been trying to at least clean up the previous owner's crap this weekend.

Brian said...

so far looks good!